For some, it’s that first snowfall, the first Christmas song on the radio, or the first lit-up tree that marks the official start of the holiday season (or “wedding proposal season” as we like to call it!). Well for me, the official start to the holidays is always marked by the Victoria’s Secret annual fashion show—which happens to air on CBS tonight! And in honor of the scantily clad VS Angels, what better topic for today than wedding garters?
Traditionally, during the wedding reception, the groom will remove the garter from the bride’s leg and toss it to the single males, with the lucky catcher said to be the next one to marry. It’s not uncommon for the bride to wear two garters—one for tossing and another for a keepsake. There are thousands of different styles of garters—in every color, some monogrammed, some with charms, and many that include “something blue.” Here we’ve put together some of the best places to buy a garter set for under $30:
- The Knot’s Wedding Shop) Ranging from $4.99 to $28, look here for classic white lace garters, blue garters, monogramming, as well as a camouflage garter for all you hunter brides out there!
- My Garter Adorable customized ribbon can be added to these garters, starting at just $17.99.
- The Wedding Outlet If you want to match your garter to your wedding theme, look no further—The Wedding Outlet has garters in just about every color imaginable!
- Hello Design Crew For handmade garters of all designs, we love this Etsy vendor!
Keeping in mind that the garter will be tossed off to the single men at the wedding, we love this guy-inspired sports garter idea from Weddingbee. Is the groom a loyal Red Sox fan? Are the groomsmen college buddies from a big sports school? Incorporate team colors and a team charm into your wedding garter!
For Boston sports fans, we’ve got you covered:
- Garters by Kristi Red Sox garter from a fabulous Etsy vendor. She also has THIS Celtics garter and THIS adorable Bruins garter.
- Football Fanatics Patriots garter for only $10.95.
- Etsy Vendor Narfer99 Another Patriots option, this one as a set.
- Let’s Dance Garters Bruins garter in satin and lace for under $30.
Share your stories from the big day with us—did you include the garter toss tradition in your wedding?