You’ve been asked to be the Maid of Honor in one of your favorite girls’ weddings, you couldn’t be more excited, but—uh—what exactly are you supposed to do? As a first time Maid of Honor myself, I know all too well that once the initial excitement, hugs, kisses, and congratulations are done, the next thought is something along the lines of “what is a Maid of Honor even supposed to do?” So for all you first time honorees out there, here’s a check list breaking down your main responsibilities. Each wedding party is different, and each bride may have her own requests and tough tasks requiring your help, but here are the basics every Maid of Honor should be sure to check off their To Do list:
- Plan and host a shower with the help of the bridesmaids and bride’s female family members. During the shower, be sure to help keep track of who gave what so that the bride’s thank you note writing goes smoothly!
- Plan and host a bachelorette party with the help of the bridesmaids.
- Help the bride shop for a wedding gown and bridesmaid dresses.
- Pay for your wedding day attire—this includes dress, shoes, and jewelry. If you don’t want to break the bank, be sure to suggest Bridesmaid Trade during the bridesmaid dress search!
- Attend the rehearsal dinner.
- Toast the bride and groom (either at the rehearsal dinner or the reception). If you need tips for giving the perfect speech, check THIS out.
- Keep the groom’s ring during the wedding ceremony.
- Arrange the bride’s train during the ceremony, if needed.
- Hold the bride’s bouquet during the I Do’s.
- Witness and sign the marriage license if requested.
- Buy the couple a wedding gift.
- Stand in the receiving line and help organize it.
- Coordinate with the other bridesmaids throughout the entire process—keep them informed about important dates, fittings, and any other important news.
- Easy on the alcohol during the wedding! Remember, you’re supposed to be helpful, not slurring your words!
And of course the most important thing to check off your list is to have fun!
Have you been a Maid of Honor before? What were your responsibilities?