Same great blog, different address! We have some exciting news over at Bridesmaid Trade—our blog is now up and running at our main site. Now you can buy a dress, sell a dress, and read up on all things wedding at Bridesmaid Trade.
So update your bookmarks and hop on over to http://www.bridesmaidtrade.com/blog/, we’ll see you there!
While there are current love songs hitting the air and flooding iTunes, for many couples, an older, classic song is ideal for their first dance as husband and wife. Don’t get me wrong, Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga are great, but there’s a reason that the top 10 lists out there of popular first dance songs remain relatively unchanged throughout the years.
I love the list included in this YouTube medley:
- True Companion—Marc Cohn
- The Way You Look Tonight—Frank Sinatra
- At Last—Etta James
- Ribbon In The Sky—Stevie Wonder
- From This Moment On—Shania Twain
- Power of Love—Celine Dion
- Have I Told You Lately—Rod Stewart
- Can’t Help Falling in Love—Elvis Presley
- Unforgettable—Nat King Cole
- Unchained Melody—Righteous Brothers
All great choices, along with these beautiful songs that I’d add to the list:
- Love Me Tender—Elvis Presley
- Just the Way You Are—Billy Joel
- Don’t Know Much—Linda Ronstadt and Aaron Nevil
- Can You Feel the Love Tonight—Elton John
What song did you/are you going to dance to at your wedding?
Almost any bride will tell you that getting dressed and done up before the wedding is almost just as fun as the wedding itself! And while hair salons and make up artists can be a fun splurge, the budget-friendly alternative of DIY makeup can be just as successful!
We’ve put together some tips for achieving the perfect wedding day makeup look yourself:
- Match your eye color NOT your dress color! One of the biggest mistakes girls make is choosing their eye shadow color based on what they’ll be wearing. Regardless of the color dress, the eye shadow that will look best on you is the shade that goes well with your eye color and skin tone. Check out the chart below from Mascara Envy to see which shades will work best for you–find the color that best matches your eyes and then look to the color directly across from that (your complimentary color) for your ideal shade of shadow.
- Don’t go overboard. Remember, you’re at a wedding, not a nightclub. While a smoky eye is a gorgeous option, avoid going too dark and drastic with the makeup.
- Practice makes perfect. Instead of waiting until the morning of the wedding to experiment with makeup, be sure to practice before hand so that you can confidently achieve the look you want. Make an event out of it by getting all the bridesmaids together to play around with different looks or incorporate it into the bachelorette party!
- Timing is everything. If you apply your makeup too far in advance on the day of your wedding, you risk fading and smudging by the time the photos are being taken and the ceremony is underway. For a fresh look, apply makeup as close to the ceremony as you feel comfortable.
Overwhelmed? Never been one of those girly-girls who seems to have been born with mascara in hand? Well there’s no need to stress, YouTube is here to the rescue! Countless tutorials can be found for just about any look, so take some time to browse around. To start you off here are some beautiful wedding day looks that top our list:
Anthropologie and Urban Outfitters fans, as well as all brides-to-be certainly have something to celebrate! From the parent company that brought us these great stores, now comes BHLDN, an on-line only bridal line.
Offering shoes, jewelry, and even bridal lingerie, BHLDN goes beyond designing dresses, and could potentially be a one-stop-shop for brides, We love the whimsical bohemian feel of the designs, especially with the hair “adornments” finishing off the look.
Which of these dresses is your favorite? Let us know and check out BHLDN for more beautiful designs. Ranging from classical white, to a more avant-garde patterned bridal gown, they’re worth taking a look at!
While no bride wants gray weather on her big day, dresses of the same hue can actually be a beautiful choice, and anything but gloomy! Paired with bright bouquets or white accessories, these pictures from Weddingbee and Mike and Tori show how to make gray work for you on your wedding day.
Don’t let this neutral color fool you—gray can be surprisingly multidimensional. Whether it’s a silver shade, a dark stormy gray, or a faded gray-blue, let Bridesmaid Trade get you the look for less!
THIS steel blue Jessica McClintock dress would make any bridesmaid happy, and is a fun, nontraditional shade of gray.
THIS gray-beige “fawn” color from J Crew is another unique choice, and would look beautiful paired with a bright bouquet.
Bridesmaid dresses come in every color, style, shape, and texture to satisfy the tastes of every bride out there. But for some, it’s not a dress that they desire, but a skirt.
Outfitting your bridal party in skirts and a matching top can be just as beautiful as a set of dresses, and can be a fun way to incorporate more than one color into the outfits. If you go for a patterned skirt, stick with a solid color top to balance it out, and if you’re going monochromatic, consider a bright sash to spice it up! Check out these pictures from Edyta Szyszlo, Mints Design, The Knot, and Snippet and Ink for some adorable ideas!
What do you think? Would you consider skirts instead of dresses for your bridesmaids?